Prison University Project student and Senior Editor of the San Quentin News Juan Moreno Haines has emerged as a voice of the incarcerated experience during the COVID-19 crisis. His published pieces collected below reflect what’s happening inside San Quentin in real time.
- “In San Quentin Prison, getting the flu can land you in solitary confinement,” February 20, 2020. The Appeal.
- “Inside Prison Amid Coronavirus Pandemic: Incarcerated Journalist Says Millions Behind Bars at Risk,” March 17, 2020. DemocracyNow!
- “How coronavirus is changing life inside San Quentin,” March 27, 2020. The Appeal.
- “In overcrowded San Quentin, coronavirus shelter-in-place measures mean decreased quality of life,” April 16, 2020. The Appeal.
- “‘Man Down:’ Left in the Hole at San Quentin During a Coronavirus Crisis,” July 7, 2020. Solitary Watch.
- “At San Quentin, Overcrowding Laid the Groundwork for an Explosive COVID-19 Outbreak,” July 21, 2020. The Appeal.